A Step by Step Beginners Guide to Creating Online Courses as a Side Hustle.
Average Income: $25 to $500 per course
Average Hours Per Month: 20h to 40h
Average Startup Costs: $50 to $500
Creating Online courses as a side hustle is a great way to monetize your skills, knowledge, and expertise. With the increasing demand for online learning, many individuals and businesses are looking to offer online courses to a wide audience.
Whether you’re an expert in a particular field, a skilled teacher, or a passionate hobbyist, creating and selling online courses can be a lucrative business opportunity.
In this guide, we’ll provide you with the information you need to get started with creating and selling online courses. We’ll cover the start-up costs, the skills and services you can offer, and provide you with a step-by-step guide to becoming an online course creator.
Additionally, we’ll share tips for making money $$$ with online courses, marketing yourself as a course creator, and avoiding scams and finding legitimate opportunities.
Table of Contents
What are Online Courses?
Online Courses are educational programs that typically consist of a series of video lessons, quizzes, and assignments. Online courses can be taken on various platforms, such as Coursera, Udemy, Skillshare, or even on a personal website.
They are designed to provide students with a flexible and convenient way to learn new skills, acquire knowledge, and achieve their personal or professional goals.
The courses can range from beginner to advanced levels, and cover a wide variety of topics, from technology and programming to creativity and personal development.
What Are the Start-up Costs to Become an Online Course Creator?
The Start-up costs to become an online course creator can vary depending on the type of course you want to create, your target audience, and the platform you choose to host your course.
Some common expenses include course creation tools, software, and equipment such as a camera and microphone. You may also need to invest in Marketing and promotion to reach your target audience.
What type of Online Courses can you offer?
As an Online course creator, you can offer a wide variety of courses based on your expertise, experience, and knowledge in a particular subject or skill. Some popular types of online courses include:
- Educational courses: These are online courses that teach subject or skill, such as mathematics, science, history, or programming.
- Technical courses: These are online courses that teach a specific technical skill, such as web development, graphic design, or digital marketing
- Personal development courses: These are courses that aim to help individuals improve their personal and professional lives, such as time management, goal setting, or mindfulness.
- Creative focused courses: These are courses that help individuals develop their creative skills, such as photography, writing, or drawing.
- Fitness and health courses: These are courses that teach individuals about health and wellness, including nutrition, exercise, and stress management.
- Business courses: These courses that provide training and education in entrepreneurship, marketing, sales, and other business-related subjects.
The type of Online course you create will depend on your personal interests & expertise, as well as the demand for that particular subject or skill in the market. So research your and choose well.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming an Online Course Creator.
- Identify Your Niche: Start by identifying what you are passionate about and what you have good knowledge or expertise in. This will become the foundation for your online course.
- Research Your Market: Before you create your online course, research your target audience to determine their needs and interests. This will help you tailor your course content to meet their specific needs.
- Choose your Platform: There are many, online platforms that you can use to create and sell your course, such as Udemy, Coursera, and Teachable. Choose one that best fits your needs and budget.
- Plan Your Course Content: Once you have identified your niche and target audience, plan your content. This should include an outline of the topics you will cover, the length of each section, and any supplementary materials you will include in the coarse.
- Create the Course: Use your outline to create your course. This may include filming video lessons of yourself teaching, creating slides, or writing text-based lessons. Make sure all your content is engaging, informative, and easy to follow.
- Edit and Polish Your Course: Once you have created your course, review it and make any necessary edits. Make sure it is polished and professional before launching it.
- Set Your Price $$$: Determine how much you want to charge for your course. Consider the value of your content and the competition in your niche.
How Much Money Can You Make with an Online Course Side Hustle?
The amount of money $$$ you can make as an online course creator varies greatly and is largely dependent on factors such as your niche, target audience, course content, marketing efforts, and pricing strategy. Some online course creators earn hundreds of dollars per course, while others earn thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars per course.
It is important to remember that creating an online course is a long-term investment and requires time, effort, and patience to build a successful business. However, if you have a passion for teaching, the right skillset, and a well-executed marketing strategy, the potential for earnings can be significant.
In order to maximize your earnings, it is recommended to focus on creating High-quality course content that resonates with your target audience, pricing your course competitively, and continually marketing and promoting your course through multiple channels. Additionally, it can be beneficial to expand your offerings over time by creating multiple courses, or offering additional services such as coaching or consulting to further increase your income.
5 Tips for Making Money with Online Courses.
- Choose a Niche: Focus on creating courses in a specific area of expertise, rather than trying to cover a broad range of topics.
- Offer Unique Value: Make sure your course offers value that sets it apart from other courses on the same subject.
- Utilize Multiple Marketing Channels: Promote your course through a variety of channels, including Social media, email marketing, & Paid advertising.
- Offer additional Services: Consider offering additional services, such as one-on-one coaching or business consulting, to increase your income.
- Continuously improve your course: Regularly update and improve your course to ensure it remains relevant and valuable to your students.
How to Market Yourself as an Online Course Creator?
Marketing yourself as an Online Course creator can be done in a variety of ways, and the approach you take will depend on your target audience and the type of courses you will offer. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Utilize Social Media: platforms like, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, & Instagram can be excellent tools to connect with potential students and promote your courses. You can create posts, share blog articles, & engage in conversations to build your online presence.
- Guest Blogging: Writing articles or blog posts for other relevant Websites in your niche can help you gain exposure and reach a larger audience. This will also help to establish you as a subject expert in your field and provide valuable backlinks to your website.
- Offer a Free Sample: Providing a Free sample of your course can be an excellent way to showcase your skillset and encourage people to sign up for your full course.
- Collaborate with Other Online Course Creators: Collaborating with other online creators can help you reach a wider audience and build relationships with other professionals in your field. You can work together on promoting each other’s courses or hosting live webinars to share your knowledge and experience.
- Utilize Email Marketing : Creating an email list of potential students and regularly sending them updates on your courses and related content can help you keep them engaged and interested in your offerings.
By using a combination of these marketing tactics, you can reach a wider audience and promote your online courses effectively.
How to Avoid Scams and Find Legitimate Online Courses Opportunities.
Avoiding scams and finding legitimate opportunities as an online course creator can be done through several steps.
- Research and Compare: Start by researching the various platforms that offer online course creation and compare their features, reputation, and pricing.
- Read Reviews: Look for reviews and testimonials from previous users or online course creators, which can give you an idea of the platform’s credibility, customer support, and overall user experience.
- Check Credentials: Make sure the platform you choose has the proper credentials and security measures in place, such as SSL certification and secure payment methods.
- Evaluate Support: Consider the level of support provided by the platform, including access to customer service, technical support, and educational resources.
- Look for Transparency: Choose a platform that is transparent about its policies, fees, and earnings potential.
By following these steps, you can avoid scams and find a legitimate opportunity as an online course creator. Additionally, you can also consider reaching out to other online course creators for their recommendations and experiences.
Some Online Course Creator Success Story Examples.
Here are a few examples of individuals who have successfully made money creating online courses:
- Pat Flynn from Smart Passive Income made over $300,000 in 2018 from his online courses, teaching people about online marketing and website building.
- Kaja Dzwierzynski, a freelance writer and course creator, has made over $50,000 from her online course “Write to 1K,” teaching people how to build a successful freelance writing career.
- Tim Sykes, a successful stock trader, has made over $1 million from his online course teaching others how to trade stocks.
- Katrina Ubell, a licensed attorney and course creator, has made over $500,000 from her course “The Implementation Method,” teaching people how to implement new habits and achieve their goals.
These examples show that creating and selling an online course can be a lucrative side hustle, and the earnings potential is only limited by the amount of effort and dedication you put into creating a high-quality course and marketing it effectively.
In conclusion, Creating online courses can be a lucrative $$$$ side hustle for individuals with expertise and skills in a specific subject area.
With the increasing demand for online learning and the advancements in video technology, the opportunities for online course creators are growing.
To succeed as an online course creator, it is important to have a clear understanding of your target audience, create high-quality content, and effectively market yourself. The key is to remain persistent, continue to improve and innovate, and maintain a strong online presence.
With hard work and dedication, creating online courses can be a fulfilling and profitable side hustle.
Online Course Creation Resources
Here are some helpful online resources for creating and marketing online courses:
- Teachable: https://teachable.com/ – Teachable is a platform for creating and selling online courses, complete with built-in payment processing, a customizable website, and a range of course management tools.
- Udemy: https://www.udemy.com/ – Udemy is an online learning platform where anyone can create and share their own courses.
- Coursera: https://www.coursera.org/ – Coursera is a platform that partners with top universities and organizations to offer online courses.
- Skillshare: https://www.skillshare.com/ – Skillshare is a community-driven online learning platform where you can share your skills and knowledge with others.
- Thinkific: https://www.thinkific.com/ – Thinkific is a platform for creating and selling online courses, with features like website hosting, course management tools, and integrated payment processing.
- Kajabi: https://www.kajabi.com/ – Kajabi is an all-in-one platform for creating, hosting, and selling online courses, as well as other digital products.
- Ruzuku: https://ruzuku.com/ – Ruzuku is an easy-to-use platform for creating and selling online courses, with features like course building tools, email marketing integration, and a customizable website
Pocket Hustle Rating
Our Ratings are an evaluation of a number of key elements that determine the potential of a side hustle. We consider factors such as earnings potential, effort required to achieve success, and any initial expenses. Additionally, we assess the level of competition and the potential for growth and sustainability in the chosen field. It's important to note that while these ratings can serve as a useful guide, they do not guarantee success. Ultimately, hard work, passion, and perseverance are the key ingredients for success in any endeavor.
Potential Income (1 - Low, 10 High)
Time Needed (1 - Low, 10 High)
Startup Costs (1 - Low, 10 High)
Chance of Success (1 - Low, 10 High)