A Step by Step Beginners Guide to Earning Extra Income with a Notary Public Side Hustle.
Average Monthly Income: $200 to $800
Average Hours Per Month: N/A
Average Startup Costs: $200 to $700
Becoming a Notary Public can be a great side hustle for any budding go-getter looking to grab some extra cash as it is relatively easy to do and can provide a steady income. The average monthly income for a Notary Public ranges from $200 to $800, and the average startup costs are between $200 and $700. In this article, we will guide you through the steps of becoming a Notary Public and discuss the potential income and benefits of this side hustle.
Whether you’re looking to earn extra money or simply want to add a valuable skill to your resume, becoming a Notary Public is definitely worth considering
Table of Contents
What is a Notary Public?
A Notary Public, is a official appointed by the government of a state to serve as a impartial witness to the signing of important documents. They are generally responsible for verifying the identity of a person signing any document, ensuring that they are signing the it voluntarily and without duress, and then affixing their official seal or stamp to the document to confirm that the signature is authentic.
Notary Publics can also administer oaths and affirmations, certify copies of original documents, and perform other duties as required by law. They are often used in legal, financial, and real estate transactions, as well as in the execution of documents like wills, powers of attorney, and deeds.
A Notary Public can operate in their own state and often offer their services in various settings like banks, law firms, and shipping stores.
What Are The Start-up Costs To Becoming a Notary Public?
The start-up costs to becoming a Notary Public can vary depending on your state and the specific requirements of your state. Generally, the start-up costs include the following:
- Training and education: Some states require Notary Public applicants to take a course on the responsibilities and duties of a Notary Public. These courses can be taken online or in person, and typically cost between $50 to $200.
- Exam fees: Many states require Notary Public applicants to pass an exam. Exam fees vary but usually are between $40 to $100.
- Bond: Notary Publics are required to have a bond in place to protect against any potential errors or omissions. The cost of a bond can vary, but typically ranges from $50 to $500, depending on the amount of coverage.
- Notary supplies: You will need to purchase a seal, stamps, and other supplies in order to notarize documents. These can cost anywhere from $50 to $200.
- State registration fee: Once you have completed all of the above steps, you will need to register with your state’s Secretary of State office. This will include submittng an application and paying a fee, which can range from $40 to $200 depending on the state.
- Insurance: Some states require notaries to purchase an insurance policy, the cost of which varies.
It’s important to note that the cost of becoming a Notary Public can vary depending on your state, so it’s important to research the specific requirements and costs in your area.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming a Notary Public:
- Check the requirements: Each state has its own requirements for becoming a Notary Public. You will need to check with your state’s Secretary of State office to find out what is required in your state. Typically, you will need to be at least 18 years old, a legal resident of the state, and pass a full background check.
- Take a course: Many states require Notary Public applicants to take a course on the responsibilities and duties of a Notary Public. This course can be taken online or in person, and will cover topics such as how to notarize documents, how to handle sensitive information, and how to deal with fraud.
- Pass an exam: After completing the course, you will need to pass a exam on the information covered in the course. The exam will test your knowledge of the laws and procedures related to notarization.
- Obtain a bond: Notary Publics are required to have a bond in place to protect against any potential errors or omissions. You can obtain a bond through a bonding company.
- Purchase notary supplies: You will need to purchase a seal, stamps, and other supplies in order to notarize documents.
- Register with your state: Once you have completed all of the above steps, you will need to register with your state’s Secretary of State office. This will include submitting an application and paying some fees.
How Much Can You Make With a Notary Public Side Hustle?
The amount of money you can make with a Notary Public side hustle can vary depending on a number of factors, such as your location, the demand for Notary services in your area, and the number of clients you are able to attract.
- Notary Public Fees: Notary Publics charge a fee for their services, which can range from $2 to $20 per notarization, depending on the state and type of document. Some Notary Publics may also charge additional fees for traveling to a client’s location or for providing services outside of regular business hours.
- Average Monthly Income: On average, a Notary Public can earn anywhere from $200 to $800 per month, depending on the number of clients and the amount of work they are willing to take on. However, the more you are able to grow your client base and gain a reputation as a reliable and professional Notary Public, the more potential there is to earn a higher income.
- Side Hustle vs Full-time Income: It’s important to note that, as a side hustle, Notary Public usually doesn’t provide a full-time income, but it can provide a steady source of extra income.
Additionally, being a Notary Public can also open up opportunities for other related work, such as working as a signing agent for the mortgage and real estate industry, which can pay more. It’s important to keep in mind that the earning potential can vary depending on the location, the demand and your business strategy.
How to Market Yourself as a Notary Public:
Marketing yourself as a Notary Public is an essential step in building a successful side hustle. There are several ways to effectively market your services to potential clients.
Below we discuss various marketing strategies that you can use to promote your services and establish yourself as a reputable Notary Public.
- Create a Professional Looking Website: Creating a professional website that highlights your qualifications, services, and contact information is an effective way to make it easy for clients to find you and learn more about your services. This can also act as a portfolio showcasing your work, qualifications and services you offer.
- Use Social Media Platforms: You can use social media platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter to promote your services and connect with potential clients. Create a business page and post regular updates about your services, testimonials and news in the industry.
- Networking and Building Relationships: Networking and building relationships with other professionals in the industry, such as real estate agents, lawyers, and loan officers can also be a great way to find new clients. Attend local events and conferences to meet and connect with other professionals in your area.
- Join Local Business Groups and Chambers of Commerce: Joining local business groups and chambers of commerce can increase your visibility and make connections within your community. This can lead to networking opportunities and potential clients.
Becoming a Notary Public can be a great side hustle that offers a steady income of $200 to $800 per month. The process is relatively simple, and can be done in a short amount of time.
However it’s important to Keep In Mind that the earning potential and the hours needed to achieve that income can vary depending on the location, the demand of the job, and the specific circumstances of each individuals request.
It’s important to research, the specific requirements in your area before starting. This will help, ensure that you have a clear understanding of the investment required to start your side hustle and the earning potential available to you.
In conclusion, becoming a Notary Public can be a great opportunity for those who want to earn extra money and gain a valuable skill. However, it’s important to research the specific requirements and costs in your area before starting.
Notary Public Resources:
Notary Public Resources:
Here are some resources for learning to become a Notary Public:
- The National Notary Association (NNA) offers information and resources for learning about the responsibilities and requirements, as well as training and certification programs. https://www.nationalnotary.org/
- The American Society of Notaries provides information and resources, as well as continuing education and professional development opportunities. https://www.asnnotary.org/
- The American Association of Notaries offers an online Notary Public course, as well as information and and fulfilling the responsibilities of the role. https://www.usnotaries.com/
Please keep in mind that Many U.S. States also have specific requirements and resources for becoming a Notary Public, so it may be helpful to research the specific requirements and resources in your state.
Please note: that the above links are provided for informational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of any particular program or organization. It is important to research and evaluate any program or resource before investing time and money.
People Also Asked: Notary Public FAQs
The type of notary that makes the most money may vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and type of clients. In general, notaries who work with high-value transactions such as real estate, finance, or legal documents, can potentially make more money.
Businesses that frequently need notary services include real estate companies, banks, financial institutions, law firms, and government agencies.
The amount that mobile notaries make in Texas varies depending on factors such as location, experience, and type of clients. However, mobile notaries in Texas typically charge a travel fee in addition to their notarization fee, which can range from $25 to $75 or more per notarization.
In New York, notaries are authorized to perform a range of notarial acts, including acknowledging signatures, administering oaths and affirmations, and certifying copies of documents.
The fees that notaries charge may vary depending on location and the type of document being notarized. In general, notaries may charge anywhere from $5 to $15 per notarization, but fees can be higher for complex or specialized documents.
The amount that notaries are paid can vary widely depending on location and the demand for notary services. Some states that generally offer higher notary fees include California, New York, Texas, and Florida.
Notary fees can vary depending on the location and demand for notary services. However, notary public is generally not considered a high-paying career, but it can be a good source of additional income or a flexible side job.
Notary public is a licensed profession that requires training, expertise, and adherence to ethical and legal standards. As such, it is generally considered a respectable job that provides a valuable service to the community.
A mobile notary is a notary public who travels to a client’s location to perform notarial acts, such as notarizing documents or taking oaths. Mobile notaries are often hired to provide convenience and flexibility for clients who cannot travel to a notary’s office.
The amount of money you can earn as a notary may vary depending on factors such as location, demand for notary services, and the types of documents you notarize. Notaries can earn anywhere from a few hundred to several thousand dollars per year, depending on their level of activity and fees charged.
Pocket Hustle Rating
Our Ratings are an evaluation of a number of key elements that determine the potential of a side hustle. We consider factors such as earnings potential, effort required to achieve success, and any initial expenses. Additionally, we assess the level of competition and the potential for growth and sustainability in the chosen field. It's important to note that while these ratings can serve as a useful guide, they do not guarantee success. Ultimately, hard work, passion, and perseverance are the key ingredients for success in any endeavor.
Potential Income (1 - Low, 10 High)
Time Needed (1 - Low, 10 High)
Startup Costs (1 - Low, 10 High)
Chance of Success (1 - Low, 10 High)