A Step by Step Beginners Guide to Resume Writing as a Side Hustle.
Average Income: $50 to $150 per hour
Average Hours Per Month: 20h to 40h
Average Startup Costs: $50 to $200
In today’s competitive job market, a well-written and visually appealing resume is essential. However, not everyone has the skills to create a professional and effective resume.
That’s where a resume writing side hustle comes in. In this guide, we will explore how to make Extra Money by offering resume writing services.
Table of Contents
What Is Resume Writing?
Resume writing is the process of creating a document that highlights a job seeker’s skills, experiences, and qualifications. The purpose of a resume is to convince potential employers that the job seeker is the right fit for the job. A well-written resume can help a job seeker stand out from the competition.
What Are the Start-up Costs $$$ to Become a Resume Writer?
Starting a resume writing side hustle can require some upfront investment, but it’s generally less expensive than starting other types of businesses. Here are some potential startup costs to consider:
- Training & Education:: While it’s not required, formal training or education in resume writing and career development can help you stand out from the competition and provide higher quality work. There are many online courses and certifications available, ranging in price from free to several hundred dollars.
- Software and Tools: You’ll need access to a computer, word processing software, and a reliable internet connection. You may also want to invest in additional tools such as a professional resume template, a grammar checker, and a plagiarism checker. These tools may cost a few hundred dollars in total.
- Marketing & Advertising: To attract clients, you’ll need to market your services. This may involve setting up a website, business cards, and other marketing materials. You may also need to spend money on advertising, such as running Facebook or Google ads.
- Office Supplies: You’ll need a comfortable and distraction-free workspace, a phone line, and a printer. These costs can vary depending on what you already own and what you need to purchase.
Overall, the start-up costs for a resume writing side hustle can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, depending on the resources you need and the extent to which you invest in your education and marketing. However, many of these costs are optional and can be managed to fit your budget.
What Services Can You Offer Your Clients as a Resume Writer?
As a resume writer, there are several services you can offer to clients to help them improve their job search outcomes. Here are some of the most common services that you could provide:
- Resume Writing: This is the most common service that clients seek from a resume writer. You can offer to create a professional and effective resume that highlights the client’s skills, experience, and achievements.
- Cover Letter Writing: You can also offer to write a cover letter that complements the client’s resume and showcases their interest and qualifications for a specific job.
- LinkedIn Profile Writing: LinkedIn has become an essential tool for job seekers, and you can offer to create a professional and optimized LinkedIn profile that showcases the client’s experience, skills, and achievements.
- Interview Coaching: You can offer coaching services to help clients prepare for interviews, including practicing common interview questions, developing their elevator pitch, and improving their body language and communication skills.
- Job Search Strategy: You can help clients develop a job search strategy, including identifying potential job openings, tailoring their resume and cover letter to specific job requirements, and networking effectively.
- Career Counseling: You can offer career counseling services to help clients identify their strengths and interests, explore potential career paths, and create a long-term career plan.
- Additional Services: Other services that you can offer include resume reviews, LinkedIn profile audits, and job search consultation.
By offering a variety of services, you can meet the needs of different clients and create a successful resume writing side hustle that provides value and helps clients achieve their career goals.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Writing Resumes as a Side Hustle
- Research: Start by researching the latest resume writing trends, best practices, and templates. Analyze job postings in your target industry to identify the key skills and experiences employers are looking for.
- Create a process: Develop a process that includes gathering client information, creating a draft resume, editing and revising, and finalizing the document. You may want to use a questionnaire to gather information from your clients to ensure that you capture all their essential skills and experiences.
- Choose a Format: Select a resume format that best showcases your client’s skills and experiences. Consider the traditional reverse-chronological format, functional format, or a combination format.
- Customize: Customize each resume to the specific job and industry your client is targeting. Highlight the skills and experiences that are most relevant to the job posting.
- Edit & proofread: Ensure that your resume is free from errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Use tools like Grammarly to assist with proofreading.
- Use design elements: Use design elements to create a visually appealing and easy-to-read document. Include appropriate fonts, colors, and images.
- Deliver final product: Deliver the final product in a professional and timely manner. Provide clients with different file formats, including PDF and Word, to ensure they can use it in different settings.
How Much Money $$$ Can You Make with a Resume Writing Side Hustle?
The amount of money you can make with a resume writing side hustle will vary depending on various factors. Generally, the price you can charge for your services will depend on your level of expertise, the services you offer, and the market rates in your area.
Prices can range from $50 to $300 per project or $50 to $150 per hour. The volume of clients you work with can also impact your earnings. Some resume writers take on multiple projects per week, while others may work with only a few clients per month. The demand for your services in your local job market can also impact your earning potential.
With a combination of quality work, competitive pricing, and effective marketing, it’s possible to earn a good income with a resume writing side hustle.
5 Proven Tips for Making Money with Resume Writing
- Focus on quality: Ensure that each resume you produce is of high quality and meets the needs of your client.
- Offer additional services: Consider offering additional services, such as interview preparation, to increase your income potential.
- Network: Join professional organizations in your target industry to network and build your reputation.
- Use social media: Utilize social media to market your services and showcase your work.
- Build a portfolio: Develop a portfolio of your work that showcases your skills and experiences.
How to Market Yourself as a Resume Writer
Marketing yourself as a resume writer requires creativity and dedication. Start by creating a website that showcases your services and includes testimonials from satisfied clients. Here are some other marketing strategies to consider:
- Leverage social media: Utilize social media platforms like LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook to market your services. Share valuable tips and insights on how to create effective resumes, and engage with potential clients.
- Attend networking events: Attend local job fairs, career expos, and other networking events to meet potential clients and build your reputation.
- Offer free consultations: Offer free consultations to potential clients to showcase your skills and expertise.
- Develop partnerships: Develop partnerships with career coaches, recruiters, and other professionals who may refer clients to you.
- Use online job boards: Utilize online job boards like Upwork, Freelancer, and Fiverr to find potential clients.
- Ask for referrals: Ask satisfied clients to refer you to their friends and colleagues who may need your services.
- Invest in SEO: Optimize your website and content for search engines to improve your visibility and attract more clients.
Resume Writing Success Story Examples with URL links
- How I Started a Six-Figure Resume Writing Business – https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/309487
Resume Writing Recommended Reads:
Starting a resume writing side hustle can be a lucrative way to make extra money. With a solid understanding of resume writing best practices, efective marketing strategies, and dedication to quality, you can build a successful resume writing business.
Resume Writing Side Hustle Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
A: A resume writing side hustle is a way to earn extra cash by providing professional resume writing services to individuals who need assistance creating a strong and effective resume.
A: To get started with a resume writing side hustle, you should consider creating a website or social media presence to promote your services. You may also want to create a portfolio of sample resumes to showcase your skills and experience.
A: While there are no specific qualifications or certifications required to offer resume writing services, having a background in human resources, recruitment, or writing can be helpful. You may also want to consider completing a certification program, such as the Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW) program offered by the Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches (PARW/CC).
A: The amount you can earn from a resume writing side hustle will depend on a variety of factors, including your level of experience, the quality of your work, and the demand for your services in your local market. However, many resume writers charge between $100 and $300 per resume.
A: There are many ways to find clients for your resume writing side hustle, including networking with friends and family, advertising on social media platforms, creating a website or blog to promote your services, and joining online job search platforms like Upwork or Fiverr.
A: A resume writing contract should include details about the scope of your services, the fees you will charge, the timeline for completing the resume, and any revisions or edits that will be included in the contract. It may also be helpful to include a confidentiality clause to protect your clients’ personal information.
A: To ensure your clients are satisfied with the final product, you should communicate with them regularly throughout the resume writing process to make sure you are meeting their needs and expectations. You should also offer revisions and edits as needed until the client is happy with the final product.
A: Some common mistakes to avoid when offering resume writing services include overpromising and underdelivering, failing to communicate effectively with clients, and not keeping up with the latest trends and best practices in resume writing. It is also important to be honest about your level of experience and expertise, and to charge fair and reasonable fees for your services.
Resume Writing Resources:
Pocket Hustle Rating
Resume Writing Side Hustle
Our Ratings are an evaluation of a number of key elements that determine the potential of a side hustle. We consider factors such as earnings potential, effort required to achieve success, and any initial expenses. Additionally, we assess the level of competition and the potential for growth and sustainability in the chosen field. It's important to note that while these ratings can serve as a useful guide, they do not guarantee success. Ultimately, hard work, passion, and perseverance are the key ingredients for success in any endeavor.
Potential Income (1 - Low, 10 High)
Time Needed (1 - Low, 10 High)
Startup Costs (1 - Low, 10 High)
Chance of Success (1 - Low, 10 High)