A Step by Step Beginners Guide to Becoming a Handyman as a Side Hustle.
Average Income: $50 to $100 per hour
Average Hours Per Month: 10h to 20h
Average Startup Costs: $500 to $5000
For those who are looking for a side hustle that is both physically and mentally rewarding, becoming a Handyman can be a great option. Whether you have a background in construction, home improvement, or simply enjoy fixing things around the house, being a handyman offers the opportunity to earn extra income while doing what you love.
In this guide, we will explore the skills and tools you need to get started as a handyman, the best ways to market your services, and the benefits of pursuing this Side hustle.
Whether you’re looking for a way to supplement your income or start a new career, this guide will help you take the first step towards becoming a successful handyman.
Table of Contents
What is a Handyman?
A Handyman is a versatile tradesperson who offers a wide array of repair, upkeep, and improvement services around homes or workplaces. They are renowned for their flexibility and ability to undertake various projects, ranging from straightforward repairs like fixing a dripping tap to more intricate projects such as renovating a bathroom. Handymen usually have a diverse set of competencies, encompassing plumbing, electrical systems, woodworking, and home improvement. They typically work independently or for a company specializing in home repair and maintenance services.
The main roll of a handyman is to assist individuals with their everyday home or work-related issues. They provide their clients with the ease of having a single professional to manage multiple tasks, saving them time and avoiding the hassle of finding and coordinating multiple tradespeople for each job. Handymen are frequently summoned for emergency repairs, as well as for routine maintenance and improvement projects. To establish lasting relationships with clients, handymen must be dependable, trustworthy, and have strong communication skills.
What Are the Start-Up Costs to Become a Handyman?
The Start-up costs to become a Handyman can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the type of services you want to offer, the tools and equipment you already have, and your business model (i.e., whether you plan to work as an independent contractor or start your own handyman business). However, here are some of the common expenses you should expect:
- Tools & equipment: As a handyman, you will need a variety of tools and equipment to perform your services. This can include basic hand tools, such as hammers, screwdrivers, and pliers, as well as power tools, such as drill sets, saws, and sanders. The cost of these tools can add up quickly, so it’s important to prioritize the most essential items first.
- Vehicle & transportation expenses: If you plan to travel to clients’ homes or businesses, you will need a reliable vehicle and may also incur fuel and maintenance costs.
- Insurance: It’s important to have Liability Insurance to protect yourself and your clients in the event of an accident or injury on the job.
- Marketing & advertising: To promote your business, you may need to invest in marketing and advertising, such as creating business cards, flyers, and a website.
- Licenses and permits: Depending on where you live, you may need to obtain licenses and permits to legally operate as a handyman.
These are just some of the start-up costs to consider when becoming a handyman. It’s important to carefully plan and budget for these expenses to ensure that you have the resources you need to start your business on the right foot.
What Skills or Services Can You Offer Your Clients as a Handyman?
As a handyman, you can offer a wide range of skills and services to your clients. Some of the most common services include:
- Basic home repairs, such as fixing leaky faucets, fixing loose doorknobs, and repairing holes in walls
- Electrical work, such as installing light fixtures and fixing electrical issues
- Plumbing work, such as unclogging drains and fixing leaks
- Carpentry work, such as installing shelves and repairing or replacing damaged flooring
- Painting and drywall repair
- Landscaping and outdoor maintenance, such as mowing the lawn, trimming bushes, and cleaning gutters.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming a Handyman.
- Acquire the necessary skills: To become a handyman, you will need to have a diverse set of skills. You may need to take courses or workshops to learn skills such as basic carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, painting, and more. You can also gain experience by working as an apprentice or taking on small projects.
- Get the right tools: You will need a range of tools to perform the various tasks that come with the job of a handyman. You can start with basic tools such as a drill, screwdrivers, saws, and hammers, and gradually build your collection as you take on more complex projects.
- Build your portfolio: Start by completing small projects for family, friends, or neighbors. This will give you an opportunity to build your portfolio, showcase your skills, and get word-of-mouth referrals.
- Get licensed and insured: Depending on the state you are in, you may need to obtain a license or permit to perform handyman services. You should also get liability insurance to protect yourself from any potential accidents or damage that may occur during your work.
- Establish a pricing system: You will need to determine how you will charge for your services. You can charge by the hour, by the project, or by a combination of both. Make sure your pricing is competitive and reflects the quality of your work.
- Create a website: A website will serve as your online presence and provide potential clients with information about your services and portfolio. You can create a simple website using website builders like Wix or WordPress.
- Start marketing yourself: Utilize social media, word-of-mouth, and other marketing channels to reach potential clients. Offer promotions or discounts to attract new customers.
- Expand your services: As you gain experience, consider expanding your services to include more complex projects. This will increase your income and allow you to offer more value to your clients.
By following these steps, you will be well on your way to starting a successful handyman side hustle. Remember to focus on providing quality work and excellent customer service to build a strong reputation and a steady stream of clients.
How Much Money Can You Make with a Handyman Services Side Hustle?
The amount of money you can make with a handyman services side hustle depends on several factors such as location, the type of services you offer, the prices you charge, and the number of clients you have. On average, handymen charge anywhere from $50 to $100 per hour.
If you are working part-time and have several clients, you can make anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars a month. The key to earning a good income with a handyman services side hustle is to have a strong reputation for delivering quality work and to have a steady stream of clients.
5 Tips for making money as a Handyman.
- Offer a Wide Range of Services: Offer your clients a variety of services that cater to their needs. You could specialize in electrical work, plumbing, or home repairs. The more services you offer, the more opportunities you have to make money.
- Develop a Professional Image: Your image as a handyman is important. Dress professionally, have a business card, and create a website that showcases your services. This will help you to attract more clients and establish a reputation as a professional.
- Get Your Tools and Equipment in Order: As a handyman, you need to have the right tools and equipment to get the job done. Invest in quality tools and equipment that will last you a long time. This will help you to save money and increase your profits in the long run.
- Establish a Fair Pricing Structure: When setting your prices, consider your costs, including the cost of materials, labor, and overhead. Offer competitive prices, but don’t sacrifice quality. Charge a fair price for your services and your clients will be happy to pay for them.
- Build Relationships with Your Clients: Building relationships with your clients is key to success. Treat them with respect, listen to their needs, and offer them the best service possible. This will help you to build trust and loyalty with your clients, which will in turn help you to grow your business and make more money.
How to Market Yourself as a Handyman.
- Build Your Reputation: Word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool, so start by offering high-quality services to your friends, family, and neighbors. Ask for referrals and positive reviews, and use them to build a strong reputation.
- Create a Professional Website: A website is an essential marketing tool for any handyman. Make sure it’s well-designed, easy to navigate, and includes detailed information about your services, experience, and credentials.
- Utilize Social Media: Social media is a powerful way to reach a large audience, so make sure to have a presence on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Share your portfolio, testimonials, and updates about your services to build a following and engage with potential clients.
- Offer Special Promotions and Discounts: Offering special promotions and discounts can help attract new clients and incentivize existing clients to use your services again. Consider offering seasonal discounts, referral bonuses, and other promotions to keep your clients engaged and interested.
- Network with Other Service Providers: Building relationships with other service providers in your area can lead to new business opportunities. Consider joining local business organizations, attending trade shows, and collaborating with other handymen and contractors. This can help you expand your network, and offer additional services to your clients.
How to Avoid Scams and Find Legitimate Handyman Opportunities.
When it comes to finding legitimate opportunities as a handyman, it’s important to take a few key steps to avoid scams. Scammers often take advantage of people looking to start a side hustle, so it’s important to be diligent and careful when evaluating potential opportunities.
Here are some tips to help you avoid scams and find legitimate opportunities as a handyman:
- Research the company or individual you’re considering working with: Before you sign up to work with someone, do some research on their background and reputation. Check online reviews and ratings, and see if they have any negative feedback or complaints.
- Verify their credentials: Make sure the company or individual you’re considering working with is licensed, insured, and bonded. This will protect you in case of any accidents or damage to property while on the job.
- Get everything in writing: Before you start working with someone, make sure you have a clear agreement in writing. This should include your responsibilities, compensation, and any other important details.
- Be wary of high-pressure sales tactics: Scammers often use high-pressure sales tactics to try and get you to sign up for their services quickly. If someone is pushing you to sign up for a service without giving you time to think it over or ask questions, be wary.
- Trust your gut: If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. If you have any doubts or reservations about a potential opportunity, don’t be afraid to walk away.
By following these tips, you can help protect yourself and find legitimate opportunities as a handyman.
In conclusion, starting a handyman services side hustle can be a lucrative and fulfilling way to earn extra income while using your skills and expertise. By understanding the start-up costs, the services you can offer, and following a step-by-step guide to becoming a handyman, you can turn your passion into a successful side business.
To maximize your earnings and find success in this industry, it’s important to market yourself effectively and be cautious of scams. With hard work and dedication, you can turn your handyman services into a thriving side hustle.
Online Handyman Resources.
- National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) (https://www.nahb.org) – A professional trade association for home builders and remodelers that provides resources, training, and networking opportunities for handymen.
- Handyman Startup (https://handymanstartup.com) – A website dedicated to helping people start their own handyman business, offering advice on marketing, pricing, and building a client base.
- The Family Handyman (https://www.familyhandyman.com) – A popular online resource for DIY enthusiasts and handymen, offering articles, videos, and guides on a wide range of home improvement and repair topics.
- HomeAdvisor ProFinder (https://www.homeadvisor.com/profinder) – An online platform that connects handymen with homeowners who need their services, allowing you to showcase your skills and find new business opportunities.
- TaskRabbit (https://www.taskrabbit.com) – A popular platform that connects people with local handymen and other service providers, allowing you to find new customers and earn money by completing various tasks and projects.
Pocket Hustle Rating
Our Ratings are an evaluation of a number of key elements that determine the potential of a side hustle. We consider factors such as earnings potential, effort required to achieve success, and any initial expenses. Additionally, we assess the level of competition and the potential for growth and sustainability in the chosen field. It's important to note that while these ratings can serve as a useful guide, they do not guarantee success. Ultimately, hard work, passion, and perseverance are the key ingredients for success in any endeavor.
Potential Income (1 - Low, 10 High)
Time Needed (1 - Low, 10 High)
Startup Costs (1 - Low, 10 High)
Chance of Success (1 - Low, 10 High)