A Step by Step Beginners Guide to DJ & Music Services as a Side Hustle.
Average Income: $50 to $500 per event
Average Hours Per Month: 15h to 25h
Average Startup Costs: $500 to $2000
If you’re passionate about Music and have a talent for mixing sounds and creating unique beats, then becoming a DJ or offering music services could be the perfect side hustle for you.
With the rise of Social media and online events, the demand for DJ services has never been higher, making it an ideal time to start your Side hustle as a DJ or music professional.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps you need to take to get started and make money as a DJ or music professional.
Table of Contents
So What Are DJ & Music Services?
DJ/Music Services are services related to providing music, sound, and entertainment for events and occasions. These services may include playing music, providing lighting and sound equipment, offering MC services, creating custom playlists, and more.
DJs & music service providers are typically hired for events such as weddings, parties, corporate events, and other special occasions to provide music and entertainment that sets the mood and creates an enjoyable atmosphere.
The goal of DJ/Music Services is to ensure that events are well-organized, entertaining, and memorable for attendees.
What Are the Start-up Costs to Become an DJ & Music Services?
Becoming a DJ or offering music services can vary in start-up costs depending on the type of equipment and setup you have in mind. Here are some of the expenses you may incur:
- DJ equipment: You will need DJ software, a controller, turntables, a mixer, headphones, and speakers. A basic setup can cost anywhere from $500 to $2,000, depending on the quality of the equipment.
- Sound system: If you plan on offering DJ services for live events, you’ll need a good quality sound system. The cost of a PA system can range from $1,000 to $10,000 or more, depending on the size and quality of the system.
- Music library: You will need to purchase or subscribe to a music service to have access to the latest tracks. This cost can range from $20 to $50 per month.
- Insurance: If you plan on performing at events, it is recommended to have liability insurance to protect yourself in case of accidents or damages. The cost of insurance can vary, but can average around $500 to $1,000 per year.
- Marketing & advertising: To reach potential clients, you will need to invest in marketing and advertising. This can include business cards, flyers, and paid advertising on social media or other platforms. The cost of marketing can vary, but can average around $500 to $1,000 per year.
Note: that these are rough estimates, and the actual costs will depend on your specific needs and situation. You may also incur additional costs such as licensing fees and transportation costs.
What Services Can You Offer Your Clients as a DJ & Music Services?
As a DJ and/or music service provider, you can offer a variety of services to your clients, including:
- DJ Services: Offer DJ services for events, such as weddings, parties, and corporate events. This includes playing music and taking requests, creating playlists, and making announcements.
- Lighting and Sound Services: Offer lighting and sound services to enhance the atmosphere of events. This includes providing lighting, sound systems, and technical support.
- MC Services: Offer MC services to help keep events running smoothly and on schedule. This includes making announcements, introducing speakers, and ensuring that events run according to plan.
- Music Selection and Consultation Services: Offer music selection and consultation services to help clients choose the right music for their event. This may include creating playlists, offering music suggestions, and working with clients to create the perfect soundtrack for their event.
- Live Music Services: Offer live music services, such as live bands or solo artists, to add an extra touch of excitement to events.
- Audio and Video Recording Services: Offer audio and video recording services to capture events and create lasting memories for clients.
- Custom DJ Set Creation Services: Offer custom DJ set creation services to clients who want to create unique playlists or mixes for their events.
- Music Production Services: Offer music production services, such as mixing and mastering, to help clients create professional-quality music.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Building a DJ & Music Services Side Hustle.
- Gain experience: One of the most important things you can do to become a successful DJ/music service provider is to gain experience. This may mean practicing your skills, attending events, and networking with other DJs and musicians.
- Build a music library: Having a wide range of music that appeals to different audiences is critical to being a successful DJ/music service provider. Invest in high-quality equipment and software, and build up your music library.
- Invest in equipment: In order to provide top-notch services, you’ll need to invest in high-quality equipment, such as speakers, amplifiers, and DJ controllers. Make sure to research and compare different brands and models to find the best equipment for your needs and budget.
- Create a website & social media presence: Having a website and social media presence is essential for marketing yourself as a DJ/music service provider. Create a website that showcases your services, music library, and past work, and use social media to reach out to potential clients and promote your services.
- Network with event planners & venue owners: Building relationships with event planners and venue owners can help you secure more work. Attend local events and reach out to event planners and venue owners, offering your services and building your reputation as a reliable and talented DJ/music service provider.
- Set your rates & create packages: Determine how much you would like to earn per event, and set your rates accordingly. Consider offering packages that include different levels of services, such as lighting, sound, and MC services.
- Market your services: Marketing your services is critical to success as a DJ/music service provider. Reach out to potental clients through your website, social media, and networking efforts, and make sure to follow up with them regularly.
- Continuously improve your skills: Finally, it’s important to continuously improve your skills and stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technology in the DJ/music industry. Attend workshops and conferences, and stay informed about new equipment and software.
How Much Money $$$ Can You Make with a DJ & Music Services Side Hustle?
The amount of money you can make as a DJ/music services side hustle depends on several factors, including your experience, the type of services you offer, your pricing strategy, and the demand for your services in your area.
On average, DJ/music services can earn anywhere from $50 to $500 per event, depending on the type of event and the amount of work involved. However, experienced and successful DJs/music services can earn much more, sometimes even reaching $1,000 or more per event.
Ultimately, the amount you can earn will depend on your ability to market yourself effectively and provide high-quality services to your clients.
5 Tips for Making Money $$$ with DJ & Music Services
- Network and Build Relationships: Building relationships with event planners, wedding planners, and other related professionals can bring you more business and help you reach your target market.
- Offer a Wide Range of Services: Offering DJ services, MC services, and sound equipment rental can increase your revenue and help you cater to a wider range of clients.
- Invest in High-Quality Equipment: Having top-notch sound equipment is essential for any DJ. Investing in quality gear can help you provide better services, increase customer satisfaction, and set you apart from your competitors.
- Be Adaptable and Flexible: Being adaptable to your client’s requests and being able to provide customized services will help you stand out from other DJs. Offer your clients a personal touch and be willing to accommodate their needs.
- Keep Your Music Library Up-to-Date: Keeping your music library current and up-to-date is essential for any DJ. Make sure to regularly update your music collection with the latest hits, and offer a diverse selection of music genres to cater to a wider range of clients.
How to Market Yourself as a DJ & Music Services:
- Build a Professional Website: A well-designed website can help you showcase your services, portfolio, and testimonials. It can also help you reach a wider audience and make it easier for potential cliients to contact you.
- Utilize Social Media: Social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter can be great tools for marketing your services. Create profiles, share your work, and interact with your followers to increase your visibility and reach.
- Offer Special Promotions: Offer special promotions or discounts to new clients to help you get started and build your reputation. You can also offer seasonal or holiday promotions to keep your clients engaged and interested in your services.
- Get Involved in the Community: Participating in community events, volunteering at local organizations, and sponsoring local sports teams can help you build a positive reputation and increase your visibility in your local community.
- Ask for Referrals: Word-of-mouth is one of the most effective, ways to market your services. Encourage satisfied clients to refer you to their friends and family, and offer incentives for referrals.
How to Avoid Scams and Find Legitimate DJ & Music Services Opportunities:
- Research Potential Opportunities: Do your research and ensure that the company or opportunity you are interested in is reputable and legitimate.
- Check Reviews and Testimonials: Read reviews and testimonials from past clients to get a better understanding of the quality of services provided by the company or opportunity.
- Verify Licenses and Certifications: Ensure that the company or opportunity has the necessary licenses and certifications to operate legally.
- Be Careful with Upfront Payments: Be cautious of opportunities that require upfront payments or charge high fees. Legitimate opportunities will typically charge reasonable fees and offer flexible payment options.
- Trust Your Instincts: If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Trust your instincts and be cautious of opportunities that seem suspicious or unethical.
Becoming a DJ or music service provider can be a lucrative side hustle for those who are passionate about music and entertainment.
By offering a range of services, investing in high-quality equipment, and marketing yourself effectively, you can build a successful business and make a great income doing something you love.
Online DJ & Music Services Resources
- DJ TechTools: https://djtechtools.com/
- DJcity: https://www.djcity.com/
- Digital DJ Tips: https://www.digitaldjtips.com/
- DJ Mag: https://djmag.com/
- DJ Times: https://djtimes.com/
Pocket Hustle Rating
DJ & Music Services
Our Ratings are an evaluation of a number of key elements that determine the potential of a side hustle. We consider factors such as earnings potential, effort required to achieve success, and any initial expenses. Additionally, we assess the level of competition and the potential for growth and sustainability in the chosen field. It's important to note that while these ratings can serve as a useful guide, they do not guarantee success. Ultimately, hard work, passion, and perseverance are the key ingredients for success in any endeavor.
Potential Income (1 - Low, 10 High)
Time Needed (1 - Low, 10 High)
Startup Costs (1 - Low, 10 High)
Chance of Success (1 - Low, 10 High)