A Step by Step Beginners Guide to Food Delivery as a Side Hustle.
Average Income: $10 to $20 per hour
Average Hours Per Month: 10h to 20h
Average Startup Costs: $100 to $1000
In recent years Food Delivery has become a booming industry, with many people relying on it as their main source of food. With the rise of food delivery apps like UBER Eats, Deliveroo etc., it’s easier than ever to get started as a food delivery driver. This makes it a great side hustle option for anyone looking to make some extra money.
If you’re new to the world of food delivery, this article is for you. In this beginner’s guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know to get started, from the basics of food delivery to tips on how to be successful. Whether you’re looking to earn a little extra cash $$$ on the side or make food delivery a full-time job, this guide will give you the information you need to get started.
Table of Contents
What is Food Delivery?
Food delivery is the process of transporting food from a restaurant or food establishment to a customer’s location.
Delivery drivers are the individuals who are responsible for picking up food from the restaurant, packaging it properly, and then delivering it to the customer.
This service is often provided by restaurants themselves, but it can also be done by third-party companies or independent contractors.
What Are the Start-up Costs to Become a Food Delivery Driver?
The start-up costs to become a food delivery driver can vary depending on the company you choose to work for and the type of vehicle you use. Some companies provide delivery vehicles and insurance, while others allow drivers to use their own vehicles.
Here are some common costs to consider:
- Vehicle expenses: If you’re using your own vehicle, you’ll need to cover the cost of gas, maintenance, and insurance.
- Delivery equipment: You may need to purchase or rent a smartphone and GPS device.
- Background check: Some companies may require a background check, which can cost anywhere from $10 to $50.
- Uniform: Some companies may require drivers to wear a uniform, which can cost anywhere from $20 to $50.
- Sign-up fee: Some companies may charge a sign-up fee to cover the cost of onboarding and training.
Overall, the start-up costs to become a food delivery driver can range from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars, depending on the company and the type of vehicle you use.
What Services Can You Offer Your Clients as a Food Delivery Driver?
As a food delivery driver, the main service you offer is the delivery of food from restaurants or food establishments to customers’ homes or other desired locations. Some of the specific services you may offer include:
- Food pickup: You will be responsible for picking up the food from the restaurant or food establishment and ensuring it arrives at the customer’s location in a timely and safe manner.
- Customer service: You will be the face of the delivery service, so excellent customer service skills are crucial. You will need to be friendly, professional, and able to handle any customer concerns or issues that arise durring the delivery process.
- Route optimization: You will need to be able to quickly and efficiently plan the best route for each delivery, taking into account traffic, road conditions, and other factors.
- Reliability: You will need to be reliable and able to complete deliveries on time, every time. This is critical for ensuring customer satisfaction and building a reputation for quality service.
- Attention to detail: You will need to pay close attention to detail, particularly when it comes to delivering the correct order to the right customer.
By offering these services, you can help ensure that customers receive their food in a timely and satisfactory manner, and that they are more likely to use your services in the future.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming a Food Delivery Driver
- Choose a delivery platform: Research the different food delivery platforms available in your area, such as Uber Eats, DoorDash, GrubHub, and Postmates, and choose one to sign up with.
- Download the app: Download the delivery app to your smartphone, which will be your main tool for receiving and accepting delivery requests.
- Apply: Complete the online application process, which will typically include a background check, proof of insurance and driver’s license, and vehicle registration.
- Set up your account: Once you are approved, set up your account by uploading a profile picture, entering your payment information, and verifying your identity.
- Start delivering: Once you have everything set up, you can start accepting delivery requests and earning money.
How Much Money $$$ Can You Make with a Food Delivery Side Hustle?
The amount of money you can make as a food delivery driver varies depending on a number of factors, such as the platform you use, your availability, and the demand for delivery services in your area.
On average, delivery drivers earn between $10-$20 per hour, but this can be higher or lower depending on the company and your location. You will also earn money from tips, which can significantly increase your earnings.
5 Tips for Making Money $$$ with Food Delivery as a Side Hustle
- Offer Excellent Customer Service: As a food delivery driver, you will be representing the restaurant and the food you are delivering. Providing excellent customer service and ensuring that food is delivered hot, fresh and on time will increase your chances of receiving good tips and repeat business.
- Be Efficient: Use GPS and navigation tools to find the quickest route to your delivery destination and minimize downtime. This will not only reduce fuel costs, but also increase your earning potential as you will be able to take on more deliveries in a given time frame.
- Utilize Multiple Delivery Platforms: Sign up for multiple food delivery platforms such as Uber Eats, GrubHub, DoorDash, and Postmates to maxmize your earning potential. This will give you access to a larger pool of customers and increase your chances of receiving more delivery requests.
- Know Your Area: Familiarize yourself with popular restaurants and hotspots in your area to be able to make deliveries quickly and efficiently. This will help you save time and increase your earning potential.
- Keep Your Vehicle Clean & Organized: A clean and organized vehicle will not only help you keep track of deliveries, but also create a professional image and increase the likelihood of repeat business from satisfied customers.
How to Market Yourself as a Food Delivery Expert
As a food delivery person, you can market yourself by creating a strong online presence, building a solid reputation, and leveraging the power of social media. Here are some tips on how to market yourself as a food delivery person:
- Create a professional profile on food delivery platforms: Most food delivery platforms, such as Uber Eats, Grubhub, and DoorDash, allow you to create a profile that includes a photo, bio, and delivery ratings. Make sure to fill out your profile completely, and upload a clear, professional photo.
- Build a strong reputation: Make sure to deliver food promptly and with a friendly attitude. Ask customers to leave positive reviews on the food delivery platform you work with. A good reputation can go a long way in attracting more business.
- Leverage the power of social media: Share your experiences as a food delivery person on social media platforms, such as Instagram and Twitter. You can also share photos of the food you deliver, and interact with your followers by answering their questions and responding to their comments.
- Utilize referral programs: Many food delivery platforms offer referral programs, where you can earn bonuses for referring new drivers. Reach out to your network and ask them to sign up to deliver food.
- Offer special promotions and discounts: Offer discounts or special promotions to your regular customers to encourage them to continue using your services. This can help you build a loyal customer base that can provide you with steady income.
Food delivery as a side hustle can be a convenient and flexible way to earn extra income. However, it is important to find a legitimate opportunity that aligns with your skills, services, and resources.
By following these tips for success, marketing yourself effectively, and avoiding scams, you can make the most of your food delivery side hustle and earn extra money.
Online Food Delivery Resources
- GrubHub: https://www.grubhub.com/
- Uber Eats: https://www.ubereats.com/
- DoorDash: https://www.doordash.com/
- Postmates: https://postmates.com/
- Instacart: https://www.instacart.com/
These resources provide information on how to become a delivery driver and provide opportunities to sign up and start earning money as a food delivery driver. They offer delivery services in multiple cities across the country, and you can find a list of available cities on their websites.
Pocket Hustle Rating
Our Ratings are an evaluation of a number of key elements that determine the potential of a side hustle. We consider factors such as earnings potential, effort required to achieve success, and any initial expenses. Additionally, we assess the level of competition and the potential for growth and sustainability in the chosen field. It's important to note that while these ratings can serve as a useful guide, they do not guarantee success. Ultimately, hard work, passion, and perseverance are the key ingredients for success in any endeavor.
Potential Income (1 - Low, 10 High)
Time Needed (1 - Low, 10 High)
Startup Costs (1 - Low, 10 High)
Chance of Success (1 - Low, 10 High)