A Step by Step Beginners Guide to Becoming a Graphic Design as a Side Hustle.
Average Income: $25 to $75 per hour
Average Hours Per Month: 20h to 40h
Average Startup Costs: $50 to $500
Graphic design is a visual communication medium that uses various design elements such as typography, images, and color to create visual compositions that convey a message or idea for selling or promotional purpuses. It can be used in various fields such as advertising, branding, packaging, digital media, and more.
With the rise of digital media and the internet, the demand for graphic designers has grown, making it a lucrative side hustle option for those with a passion for design and creativity.
Table of Contents
What is a Graphic Designer?
A graphic designer is a professional person who creates visual concepts and designs using various design elements to communicate ideas and messages.
They work with clients to understand their needs and create visually appealing designs that effectively communicate the desired message.
They may work in a variety of fields such as advertising, branding, packaging, digital media, and more.
What Are the Start-up Costs to Become a Graphic Designer?
The start-up costs $$$ to become a graphic designer can vary depending on the tools and equipment needed. Some of the basic tools needed include a computer, design software such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, and a digital drawing tablet.
These tools can be costly (especially Adobe suite), with the cost of the software alone averaging around $20-50 per month for a subscription. However, there are free alternatives such as GIMP and Inkscape which may be suitable for beginners.
Additionally, a designer may choose to invest in a professional website, business cards, and other marketing materials.
What Services Can You Offer Your Clients as a Graphic Designer?
As a graphic designer, you can offer the following services to clients:
- Logo design
- Brand identity development
- Print design (e.g. brochures, flyers, posters)
- Web design (e.g. website layout and graphics)
- Package design
- Infographic design
- Motion graphics
- User interface design
- Advertising design (e.g. banners, social media ads).
A Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming a Graphic Designer
- Learn the basics: Before you can start offering your Services as a graphic designer, it’s important to have a good understanding of the basics of design. This includes learning about color Theory, typography, composition, and design software such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Build a WOW portfolio: A strong portfolio is essential for any graphic designer. It showcases your design skills and helps potential clients understand your design style and approach. As you create designs, make sure to add them to your portfolio.
- Network: Networking is key to building a successful graphic design side hustle. Attend design events and conferences, join design groups and forums online, and connect with other designers to expand your network and gain exposure for your work.
- Set your rates: Determine your hourly or project-based rates and communicate them clearly to potential clients. Keep in mind that as you gain experience, your rates can increase.
- Market yourself: Promote your services through your website, social media, and other online platforms. Reach out to potential clients and let them know what you can offer.
How Much Can You Make with a Graphic Design Side Hustle?
The amount of money $$$ you can make as a graphic designer side hustle can vary depending on a number of factors, such as your level of experience, the type of projects you take on, and your rates.
However, according to data from Payscale, the average hourly rate for a freelance graphic designer is around $25-35.
5 Not So Obvious Ways to Make Money with Graphic Design:
Offer Freelance Services: Utilize popular freelance Websites, such as Upwork and Fiverr, to showcase your portfolio and offer your services to potential clients. You can set your own hourly rate and work on projects that interest you.
Sell Stock Design Elements: You can sell design elements such as graphics, logos, icons, and templates on stock websites such as Shutterstock and Envato. This is a passive income stream that can earn you money even while you sleep.
Create and Sell Physical Products: You can use print-on-demand websites such as Redbubble and Society6 to create and sell physical products, such as t-shirts, mugs, and posters, with your designs.
Offer Design Workshops or Courses: Share your expertise and knowledge by offering design workshops or courses, either in-person or online. This is a great way to earn money while also helping others learn new skills.
Start a Design Business: If you have a passion for design and want to take it to the next level, consider starting your own design business. You can offer a range of services, such as branding, web design, and advertising, to clients in a variety of industries.
How to Market Yourself as a Graphic Designer:
- Create a professional website to showcase your portfolio and services.
- Utilize social media platforms to promote your work and connect with potential clients.
- Network with other designers and industry professionals to gain exposure and learn about new opportunities.
- Offer competitive pricing $$$ and flexible payment options to attract a wider range of clients.
- Continuously update your portfolio and stay current with industry trends to attract new clients.
How to Avoid Scams and Find Legitimate Graphic Designer Opportunities:
- Research the company or individual before accepting any job offers or working with them.
- Be wary of any job offers that require you to pay a fee or deposit before starting work.
- Be cautious of any job offers that seem too good to be true, as they may be scams.
- Look for job opportunities on reputable job boards or through industry connections.
- Ask for references and check them before accepting any job offers.
Becoming a Kick-Ass graphic designer as a Side hustle can be a rewarding and profitable endeavor. However, it’s important to be aware of potential scams and to take the necessary steps to market yourself effectively and stay current with industry trends.
By building a strong portfolio, networking, utilizing social media, and offering competitive pricing, you can attract a wide range of clients and make a significant income as a graphic designer.
Online Graphic Designer Resources
Pocket Hustle Rating
Our Ratings are an evaluation of a number of key elements that determine the potential of a side hustle. We consider factors such as earnings potential, effort required to achieve success, and any initial expenses. Additionally, we assess the level of competition and the potential for growth and sustainability in the chosen field. It's important to note that while these ratings can serve as a useful guide, they do not guarantee success. Ultimately, hard work, passion, and perseverance are the key ingredients for success in any endeavor.
Potential Income (1 - Low, 10 High)
Time Needed (1 - Low, 10 High)
Startup Costs (1 - Low, 10 High)
Chance of Success (1 - Low, 10 High)