A Step by Step Beginners Guide to Making Extra Money with an Email Newsletter Side Hustle.
Average Income: $50 to $1000 per Month
Average Hours Per Month: 10h to 20h
Average Startup Costs: $500 to $1000
If you’re looking for a flexible side hustle that you can start from home, consider creating an email newsletter. Email newsletters are a great way to earn extra money while sharing your expertise and passion with others. In this guide, we’ll take a closer look at how to make extra money with an email newsletter side hustle, including start-up costs, services you can offer, and tips for success.
Table of Contents
What is an Email Newsletter Side Hustle?
An email newsletter is a type of digital communication that is sent to subscribers via email on a regular basis, such as weekly or monthly. The content of an email newsletter can vary depending on the purpose and audience of the newsletter, but it typically includes a mix of informational or educational content, updates, news, promotions, and calls-to-action.
Email newsletters are often used by businesses, bloggers, and organizations as a way to stay connected with their audience and provide value through relevant and engaging content. Newsletters can also be used to promote products or services, build brand awareness, and drive traffic to a website or other digital platform.
To create an email newsletter, you typically need an email marketing platform that allows you to manage your subscriber list, design and send emails, and track analytics such as open rates and click-through rates. Many email marketing platforms offer templates and automation tools to help streamline the process of creating and sending newsletters.
What Are the Start-up Costs to Become an Email Newsletter Side Hustle?
The start-up costs for an email newsletter side hustle can vary depending on the tools and services you choose to use. Here are some of the costs you may need to consider:
- Email marketing platform: You will need to sign up for an email marketing platform to send your newsletters. Many platforms offer free plans with basic features, while others charge a monthly fee based on the size of your email list and the features you need.
- Domain name and website hosting: If you plan to have a website to promote your newsletter and capture email sign-ups, you will need to purchase a domain name and website hosting. These costs can vary depending on the provider you choose.
- Design and branding: If you don’t have design skills, you may need to hire a freelancer or use a design tool to create a logo and branding for your newsletter.
- Tools for content creation: You may need to purchase tools or subscriptions to create your newsletter content, such as graphic design software or stock photo subscriptions.
- Paid promotions: You may choose to invest in paid promotions to grow your subscriber list, such as Facebook ads or influencer partnerships.
Overall, the start-up costs for an email newsletter side hustle can range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars, depending on the tools and services you need. However, many of these costs can be minimized by using free tools and platforms, and by leveraging your existing skills and resources.
With some creativity and resourcefulness, you can launch an email newsletter side hustle without breaking the bank.
What Subjects Can Your Email Newsletter Side Hustle focus on?
Your email newsletter side hustle can focus on a wide variety of subjects, depending on your interests, expertise, and the needs of your target audience. Here are a few examples of subjects you could focus on:
- Personal finance: Provide your subscribers with tips and advice on managing their money, investing, and saving for retirement.
- Health and wellness: Share insights on healthy eating, exercise, and mental health.
- Business and entrepreneurship: Provide advice on starting and growing a business, developing a side hustle, and building a personal brand.
- Technology: Share news and insights on emerging technologies, gadgets, and software.
- Education: Provide resources and advice for students, teachers, and lifelong learners.
- Travel: Share travel tips, destination reviews, and cultural insights.
- Food and cooking: Provide recipes, cooking tips, and insights on food trends.
- Fashion and beauty: Share fashion and beauty tips, product reviews, and trends.
- Parenting: Provide advice and resources for parents, including tips on child development, education, and health.
- Sports and fitness: Share news, analysis, and insights on sports and fitness trends and events.
Remember, the key to a successful email newsletter side hustle is to choose a subject that you are passionate about and that resonates with your target audience. If you can provide valuable and engaging content on a consistent basis, you can build a loyal subscriber base and monetize your newsletter over time.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming an Email Newsletter Side Hustle
Here’s a step-by-step guide to starting an email newsletter side hustle:
- Choose your niche: The first step to becoming an email newsletter side hustler is to choose your niche. Consider your interests and expertise, and think about what topics would be of interest to your target audience.
- Identify your target audience: Once you’ve chosen your niche, you need to identify your target audience. Who are the people you want to reach with your newsletter? What are their interests, pain points, and needs?
- Choose an email marketing platform: There are many email marketing platforms available, including Mailchimp, ConvertKit, and Constant Contact. Choose a platform that suits your needs and budget.
- Create a content plan: Your newsletter needs to provide value to your subscribers, so create a content plan that includes topics, headlines, and delivery dates. Consider using a mix of original content and curated content from other sources.
- Set up your email list: Set up your email list in your chosen email marketing platform. Make sure you comply with GDPR and other email regulations.
- Create your newsletter template: Your newsletter needs to look professional and on-brand, so create a template that includes your logo, brand colors, and font choices.
- Start creating and sending your newsletter: Once you have your content plan and template in place, start creating and sending your newsletter. Be consistent with your delivery schedule to build trust with your subscribers.
- Monetize your newsletter: There are many ways to monetize your newsletter, including sponsorships, affiliate marketing, and product sales. Choose a monetization strategy that aligns with your values and goals.
- Track your results: Use your email marketing platform’s analytics to track your open rates, click-through rates, and other metrics. Use this data to refine your content and strategy over time.
- Grow your subscriber list: To grow your subscriber list, promote your newsletter on social media, your website, and other channels. Consider offering a free resource or lead magnet to encourage sign-ups.
By following these steps, you can become an email newsletter side hustler and start making extra money while sharing your passion and expertise with others.
How Much Money Can You Make with an Email Newsletter Side Hustle?
The amount of money you can make with an email newsletter side hustle can vary depending on a variety of factors, including the size and engagement level of your email list, the niche you are targeting, and the monetization strategies you use. Here are some ways you can make money with an email newsletter side hustle:
- Advertising revenue: You can sell ad space in your newsletter to relevant advertisers, either by charging a flat rate or by using ad networks that pay based on clicks or impressions.
- Affiliate marketing: You can earn commissions by promoting products or services to your email subscribers and including affiliate links in your newsletter.
- Sponsored content: You can collaborate with brands or companies to create sponsored content for your newsletter, such as product reviews or sponsored articles.
- Product sales: You can sell your own products or services directly to your email subscribers, such as e-books, courses, or consulting services.
- Donations: You can ask your subscribers to support your newsletter with donations or a Patreon subscription.
The amount of money you can make with each of these strategies will depend on factors such as your email list size and engagement, the quality of your content, and the relevance of your niche to potential advertisers and affiliates.
However, with a dedicated effort and consistent growth of your subscriber base, it is possible to make several hundred to several thousand dollars per month with an email newsletter side hustle.
5 Tips for Making Money with an Email Newsletter Side Hustle
Here are five tips for making money with your email newsletter side hustle:
- Focus on providing value: Your subscribers will only stick around if they find your content valuable and engaging.
- Build relationships: Engage with your subscribers and build relationships with them through personalization and interaction.
- Be consistent: Send regular newsletters on a consistent schedule to keep your audience engaged and build momentum.
- Experiment with monetization: Try different monetization methods to see what works best for your audience and niche
- Promote your newsletter: Promote your newsletter through social media, guest blogging, or other channels to grow your subscriber list and increase your earning potential.
How to Market Yourself as an Email Newsletter Side Hustle
Marketing your email newsletter is key to growing your subscriber base and building a loyal audience. Here are some effective ways to market your email newsletter:
- Optimize your website for email sign-ups: Make sure your website prominently features a sign-up form for your newsletter, with a clear value proposition and incentive for subscribing.
- Use social media: Promote your newsletter on your social media channels, and use social media ads to target potential subscribers based on interests and demographics.
- Leverage guest blogging: Write guest blog posts for other websites or publications, and include a call-to-action to subscribe to your newsletter in your author bio or byline.
- Use referral marketing: Encourage your existing subscribers to refer their friends and colleagues to your newsletter, and offer incentives or rewards for successful referrals.
- Collaborate with influencers: Partner with influencers or other relevant brands or individuals to cross-promote your newsletter and reach new audiences.
- Attend events: Attend relevant conferences, trade shows, or other events in your niche to network and promote your newsletter to potential subscribers.
- Use paid promotions: Consider using paid promotions such as Facebook ads or Google Ads to reach a wider audience and grow your subscriber list.
It’s important to experiment with different marketing channels and tactics to find what works best for your audience and niche. By consistently promoting your newsletter and delivering high-quality content to your subscribers, you can build a loyal following and grow your email newsletter side hustle.
How to Avoid Scams and Find Legitimate Email Newsletter Side Hustle Opportunities
Unfortunately, there are many scams out there that promise to help you make money with an email newsletter, but in reality, they’re just trying to take your money. To avoid scams and find legitimate opportunities, do your research and look for the following signs of a trustworthy opportunity:
Email Newsletter Side Hustle Success Story Examples with URL Links
To inspire you and give you a sense of what’s possible, here are some successful email newsletter side hustle examples:
- The Skimm: A daily newsletter that shares the news in a fun, easy-to-read format. The Skimm monetizes through sponsorships and affiliate marketing.
- Morning Brew: A business and finance newsletter that provides a daily dose of news and insights. Morning Brew monetizes through sponsorships and advertising.
- Girls Night In: A weekly newsletter focused on self-care and wellness for women. Girls Night In monetizes through sponsorships and product sales.
Starting an email newsletter side hustle can be a great way to earn extra income and build a loyal audience around a topic that you’re passionate about. While there are some start-up costs involved, such as a domain name, email marketing platform subscription, and potentially hiring freelancers or purchasing stock images, the potential rewards can be significant.
To succeed with your email newsletter side hustle, it’s important to focus on delivering high-quality content that resonates with your target audience, and to promote your newsletter effectively using a range of marketing channels and tactics. By consistently delivering value to your subscribers and building a loyal following, you can create a sustainable and profitable side hustle.
Remember to stay on top of best practices and trends in email marketing, and to continually experiment and iterate with your newsletter format and content to find what works best for your audience. With dedication and hard work, your email newsletter side hustle can become a valuable asset that provides both financial rewards and personal fulfillment.
Online Email Newsletter Side Hustle Resources
Here are some online email newsletter resources that you can use to learn more about email marketing and improve your email newsletter:
Mailchimp: https://mailchimp.com/ – Mailchimp is a popular email marketing platform that offers a range of tools for creating, sending, and tracking email newsletters.
Constant Contact: https://www.constantcontact.com/ – Constant Contact is another widely used email marketing platform that offers a range of features for creating and sending email newsletters.
AWeber: https://www.aweber.com/ – AWeber is an email marketing platform that offers a range of features for creating and sending newsletters, as well as automation and segmentation tools.
Campaign Monitor: https://www.campaignmonitor.com/ – Campaign Monitor is an email marketing platform that offers a range of features for creating, sending, and tracking email newsletters, as well as advanced automation and personalization tools.
Litmus: https://litmus.com/ – Litmus is a popular email testing and analytics tool that can help you optimize your email newsletters for different devices and email clients.
Really Good Emails: https://reallygoodemails.com/ – Really Good Emails is a curated gallery of high-quality email newsletter examples that you can use for inspiration and best practices.
OptinMonster: https://optinmonster.com/ – OptinMonster is a lead generation tool that can help you grow your email list by creating targeted pop-ups, forms, and other opt-in forms.
These resources can help you improve your email newsletter and grow your subscriber base. Be sure to explore each platform and tool to find what works best for your needs and goals.
Pocket Hustle Rating
Our Ratings are an evaluation of a number of key elements that determine the potential of a side hustle. We consider factors such as earnings potential, effort required to achieve success, and any initial expenses. Additionally, we assess the level of competition and the potential for growth and sustainability in the chosen field. It's important to note that while these ratings can serve as a useful guide, they do not guarantee success. Ultimately, hard work, passion, and perseverance are the key ingredients for success in any endeavor.
Potential Income (1 - Low, 10 High)
Time Needed (1 - Low, 10 High)
Startup Costs (1 - Low, 10 High)
Chance of Success (1 - Low, 10 High)