A Step by Step Beginners Guide to Becoming a Instagram Influencer as a Side Hustle.
Average Income: $300 to $1000 per post
Average Hours Per Month: 10h to 20h
Average Startup Costs: $0 to $500
Have you ever thought about turning your love for Instagram into a source of income? If so, then becoming an Instagram influencer may be the perfect side hustle for you. In recent years, the influencer marketing industry has exploded, making it a lucrative option for those looking to make extra money on the side.
Table of Contents
What is Instagram Influencer?
An Instagram influencer is a person who has built a significant following on the social media platform, Instagram, and leverages that following to promote products or services to their audience. Brands will often work with influencers by paying them to promote their products or services, or by providing them with free products in exchange for promotion.
Instagram influencers typically focus on a specific niche, such as fashion, beauty, fitness, food, or travel, and they use their platform to share their thoughts, experiences, and lifestyle with their followers.
The goal of working with an influencer is to reach a large, engaged, and relevant audience in order to promote a product or service, and to drive sales and build brand awareness.
What Are the Start-up Costs to Become an Instagram Influencer?
The start-up costs of becoming an Instagram influencer can vary widely, depending on your specific niche, goals, and the methods you choose to use. Some costs to consider include:
- Equipment: If you plan to take high-quality photos and videos to showcase your content, you’ll need a good camera and accessories such as tripods, lighting equipment, and editing software.
- Marketing and Advertising: Building your Instagram following can require investment in advertising and marketing efforts, such as paid promotions or influencer marketing campaigns.
- Niche-related expenses: Depending on your niche, you may need to purchase specific products or services related to your area of interest. For examplee, if you’re a fashion influencer, you’ll need to invest in clothing and accessories.
- Content creation: You may need to pay for professional photographers, videographers, or editors to help create high-quality content.
It’s important to note that starting as an Instagram influencer does not require a large investment upfront, and many influencers have started their careers with minimal costs and built their following organically. However, investing in your equipment, marketing, and niche-related expenses can help you to build a professional-looking and engaging brand, which can ultimately lead to more opportunities for monetization.
What Services Can You Offer Your Clients as an Instagram Influencer?
As an Instagram influencer, you can offer a variety of services to your clients, including:
- Product promotion: You can promote a client’s product to your followers through sponsored posts, product reviews, and product placement.
- Brand ambassadorship: You can work with a brand to promote their products and services on a longer-term basis, serving as a representative for the brand and promoting its values and mission.
- Content creation: You can create custom content, such as photos and videos, for your clients to use on their social media platforms or website.
- Affiliate marketing: You can promote a client’s products through affiliate marketing, earning a commission for each sale generated through your unique affiliate link.
- Influencer events: You can participate in events and campaigns that your clients host, helping to generate buzz and excitement around their brand.
- Influencer marketing campaigns: You can collaborate with your clients to create and execute influencer marketing campaigns, which can include influencer outreach, social media promotion, and influencer-generated content.
These are some of the services you can offer your clients as an Instagram influencer. The specific services you offer will depend on your niche, your audience, and your strengths as a creator and marketer.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming an Instagram Influencer
Here is a step-by-step guide to becoming an Instagram influencer:
- Choose your niche: Determine the area or topic you want to focus on as an influencer. This can be anything from fashion and beauty to food and travel, as long as it is something you are passionate about and knowledgeable in.
- Build your brand: Create a unique and recognizable brand identity that sets you apart from others in your niche. This includes developing a unique visual style, tone of voice, and content strategy.
- Grow your following: Focus on growing your Instagram following by creating high-quality, engaging content, interacting with your followers, and using hashtags and other promotional tactics to reach new people.
- Engage with your audience: Regularly engage with your followers by responding to comments and direct messages, and by creating content that encourages interaction and feedback.
- Collaborate with brands: Reach out to brands in your niche and offer to collaborate with them on sponsored posts or other marketing campaigns. You can also join an influencer marketing platform to connect with brands and start earning money for your promotions.
- Maintain high-quality content: Continuously create High-quality, engaging content that aligns with your brand and niche, and that provides value to your followers.
- Evaluate and adjust your strategy: Regularly evaluate your performance and adjust your strategy as needed to keep your content fresh, engaging, and relevant to your audience.
By following these steps and continually improving your skills, you can become a successful Instagram influencer and build a profitable business.
How Much Money $$$ Can You Make with an Instagram Influencer Side Hustle?
The amount of money you can make as an Instagram influencer varies greatly depending on a number of factors, including the size of your following, the level of engagement you receive from your followers, the types of services you offer, and the brands you work with.
Some influencers with smaller followings may make only a few hundred dollars per year, while others with large followings and high levels of engagement can earn tens of thousands of dollars or more. Influencer marketing platform, Hootsuite, reported that in 2021 the average cost per post for influencer marketing was $1,000.
It’s important to keep in mind that building a successful Instagram influencer side hustle takes time and effort, and that your earnings will likely grow gradualy over time as you build your following and establish yourself in the industry. Additionally, your earnings will be influenced by factors such as the type of content you create, the frequency of your posts, and your level of engagement with your followers.
Ultimately, the amount of money you can make as an Instagram influencer will depend on your own skills, dedication, and ability to build a following and connect with brands.
5 Tips for Making Money $$$ as an Instagram Influencer:
- Know Your Niche: Identify what topics you are passionate about and focus on building a following in that area. This will help you build a strong and engaged audience that trusts you and is more likely to purchase products you recommend.
- Engage with Your Followers: Building a strong relationship with your followers is key to success as an influencer. Respond to comments, interact with them and share content that is relevant to your niche.
- Utilize Hashtags: Use relevant hashtags to reach new followers and increase visibility. Research popular hashtags in your niche and incorporate them into your posts.
- Collaborate with Brands: Collaborating with brands can be a lucrative source of income for influencers. Pitch yourself to brands in your niche and offer to promote their products to your followers in exchange for compensation.
- Create High-Quality Content: High-quality, visually appealing content will attract more followers and increase your chances of being approached by brands. Invest in good photography equipment and take the time to carefully craft each post.
How to Market Yourself as an Instagram Influencer
Marketing yourself as an Instagram influencer requires a combination of creativity, consistency, and strategic planning. Here are five tips to help you stand out from the crowd and start making money as an influencer:
- Define your niche: Determine your area of expertise, whether it’s fashion, beauty, fitness, or travel, and use that to create a cohesive, visually appealing feed. This will help you attract the right audience and potential brand collaborations.
- Build your following: Share engaging and visually appealing content regularly and use hashtags, geotags, and tags to increase your visibility. Interact with your followers and respond to their comments and messages to foster a sense of community.
- Create sponsored content: Partner with brands that align with your niche and your personal values to create sponsored posts, stories, and live sessions. When working with brands, be transparent and ensure that the content you create is in line with your own brand and the expectations of your followers.
- Utilize Influencer marketing platforms: Sign up for influencer marketing platforms such as AspireIQ, Influencer.co, or Takumi to find brand collaboration opportunities and monetize your Instagram account.
- Expand your reach: Consider diversifying your content and expanding your reach by starting a blog, YouTube channel, or TikTok account, where you can showcase different aspects of your life and personality. Cross-promoting your accounts and encouraging your followers to engage with your content on different platforms can increase your exposure and help you reach new audiences.
How to Avoid Scams and Find Legitimate Instagram Influencer Opportunities
As an Instagram influencer, you’ll want to make sure you’re working with legitimate brands and avoiding scams. Here are some tips to help you do just that:
- Do your research: Before working with any brand, research the company to make sure it’s a legitimate business. Look for reviews, check their website, and see if they’re listed with the Better Business Bureau.
- Look for red flags: Scamers often offer high payment for little work, so be cautious of any offers that seem too good to be true. Also, be wary of brands that want you to pay upfront for a product or service. Legitimate brands should never ask you to pay for anything.
- Verify the brand’s social media presence: Check the brand’s social media accounts to see if they’re active and have a genuine following. Look for any signs of fake followers, such as large numbers of followers but low engagement.
- Use influencer marketing platforms: There are many platforms that connect influencers with legitimate brands, such as AspireIQ, Influencer.co, and Tapinfluence. These platforms often have a screening process to ensure that only legitimate brands are allowed to work with influencers.
- Trust your gut: If something seems off, trust your instincts and don’t be afraid to walk away from a potential opportunity. Your reputation is important, and working with a scammer can harm it.
By following these tips, you can avoid scams and find legitimate Instagram influencer opportunities.
Instagram Influencer Success Story Examples
Here are a few examples of successful Instagram influencers who have turned their passion into a profitable side hustle:
- @chrisellelim – Chriselle Lim is a fashion and lifestyle influencer who has worked with brands such as Louis Vuitton and Chanel. She has over 1.2 million followers on Instagram and runs a successful blog and YouTube channel.
- @theanthonydanza – Anthony Danza is a travel influencer who has visited over 50 countries and has over 1 million followers on Instagram. He collaborates with travel and lifestyle brands to showcase their products and services.
- @itsjeremyscott – Jeremy Scott is a fashion influencer and creative director for Moschino. He has over 2 million followers on Instagram and is known for his bold and colorful style.
- @gypsea_lust – Loreta is a travel influencer who has over 1 million followers on Instagram. She shares her adventures and travel experiences with her followers and collaborates with travel and lifestyle brands.
These are just a few examples of successful Instagram influencers, and their stories serve as inspiration for anyone looking to turn their passion into a side hustle.
Instagram influencer marketing has become a popular and lucrative side hustle for many people. With a large following on the platform, you can make money by collaborating with brands and promoting their products to your followers. However, finding legitimate opportunities and avoiding scams can be a challenge. It’s important to research and work with reputable brands, be transparent about sponsored content, and always disclose any commercial relationships.
There are many inspiring success stories of individuals who have turned their Instagram presence into a successful side hustle. By following a step-by-step guide to becoming an influencer, honing your marketing skills, and keeping up-to-date with the latest industry trends and best practices, you too can make extra money as an Instagram influencer.
Online Instagram Influencer Resources
Here are some online resources with URL links that can help you become a successful Instagram influencer:
Influencer marketing platforms:
Blogs and websites:
- The Influencer Marketing Hub: https://influencermarketinghub.com/
- Later: https://later.com/
- Hootsuite: https://blog.hootsuite.com/
Courses and tutorials:
- Tribe: https://www.tribegroup.co/
- Also Checkout Our Facebook Ads Manager Side Hustle Guide: https://pockethustle.com/make-from-500-to-5000-per-month-with-a-facebook-ads-manager-side-hustle/
By using these resources, you can gain a deeper understanding of the Instagram influencer industry, learn how to build your following, create engaging content, and connect with brands for sponsored posts and other marketing campaigns.
Pocket Hustle Rating
Our Ratings are an evaluation of a number of key elements that determine the potential of a side hustle. We consider factors such as earnings potential, effort required to achieve success, and any initial expenses. Additionally, we assess the level of competition and the potential for growth and sustainability in the chosen field. It's important to note that while these ratings can serve as a useful guide, they do not guarantee success. Ultimately, hard work, passion, and perseverance are the key ingredients for success in any endeavor.
Potential Income (1 - Low, 10 High)
Time Needed (1 - Low, 10 High)
Startup Costs (1 - Low, 10 High)
Chance of Success (1 - Low, 10 High)